Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

Wonga Beach State School has a long and distinguished history that precedes the opening of the school in 1999. This beautiful new school was built to replace the facility at Rocky Point, which features in this beautiful painting to the right.

Rocky Point State School opened on 23 February, 1939. On opening day, there were 42 students enrolled (and only 5 desks to sit at). Mr Kevin Whouley was the only teacher on staff and he remained at Rocky Point State School until 1953.

In 1999 the staff and students bade farewell to the little school building on the hill and moved down Snapper Island Drive to the new facility at Wonga Beach.

Ms Jan Drury was the last principal of Rocky Point State School and the first principal of Wonga Beach State School.